Why We Embedded a Full-Fledged Real-Time Oscilloscope Inside our SV4E-I3C I3C Test and Debug Module
Heavy, bulky, and costly. I come in the form of a bench-top box with a display screen, and many say I resemble an old television or a microwave. Who am I? If you guessed a conventional oscilloscope, you’ve got the right answer! However, today we’re not here to talk about how complex an oscilloscope is and how much manual work it requires to configure. Quite the opposite. It is time for you to be acquainted with Introspect Technology’s newest product: The I3C PurVue Analyzer™, embedded real-time oscilloscope for the SV4E-I3C I3C Test & Debug Module.
The I3C PurVue Analyzer™ – pronounced “pure view” – stems from the award-nominated SV4E-I3C I3C Test & Debug Module, which is an all-in-one combined protocol exerciser, protocol analyzer, and device programmer. The I3C PurVue Analyzer™ is then an optional but significant component for the SV4E-I3C. The product allows users to obtain a real-time single-shot view of all I3C signals.
Simply put, the I3C PurVue Analyzer™ is an embedded 500 MHz, 12-bit I3C protocol-triggered real-time oscilloscope with 2 simultaneous channels. It provides internal probing of SCL and SDA signals within the portable SV4E-I3C I3C Test and Debug Module, thus eliminating the need for external active probes or benchtop oscilloscopes. Plus, the set-up is intuitive thanks to the Introspect ESP software.
It has become more and more evident that a user-friendly oscilloscope was needed to answer the needs of our customers and make the overall testing processes smoother than the current testing methods. So, with customer experience and efficiency in mind, Introspect Technology set out to create a product that addresses a major gap in equipment availability for the validation, characterization, and system-level debug of I3C-based implementations.
1. Bandwidth, Sampling Rate, and Resolution: The I3C PurVue Analyzer™ Reaches a 500 MHz bandwidth, 1 Gsps sampling rate, 12-bit resolution on 2 simultaneous channels (one for SCL and one for SDA). This is some serious benchtop performance, and it does not even require external active probes.
2. Protocol-Based Hardware Triggers: This embedded oscilloscope is the opposite of protocol-decode on conventional oscilloscopes. It is protocol based in that it can be triggered by the full protocol analyzer core of the SV4E-I3C and leverages the entire list of event triggers. The I3C PurVue Analyzer™ provides complete protocol-based control on when to capture a real-time oscilloscope waveform. For example, the user can program the SV4E-I3C to start capturing whenever a transaction X is seen on the bus.
3. Exact Time Correlation Between Analog and Digital: The new embedded oscilloscope provides exact time-correlated analog and digital measurements in a single instrument. That’s a real-time, single-shot view of all I3C signals. Pristine signal measurement with no artifacts showing from probes picking up noise from Wi-Fi or RF signals, allows the user more accuracy in their measurement results. Best of all, it eliminates the need for a conventional benchtop oscilloscope and external active probes.
4. User-Friendly: How about carrying out your signal measurement test from home, or from any location that has a power source? That’s right – the SV4E-I3C and I3C PurVue Analyzer fits into your bag and can easily be set-up anywhere with a laptop. The I3C PurVue Analyzer™ is completely integrated with the Introspect ESP Software and enables interactive operation or full automation. All together, this product was designed with user-experience in mind for ease of capturing data.
5. Unlimited Mathematical Processing: It leverages the Python libraries within the Introspect ESP Software to provide complete control on the types of measurements that are performed. All the processing is automatically done with the software. Because of the tool’s flexibility, users can also capture raw information and process it later on their own if needed.
As if the SV4E-I3C was not a genius of a product already, the addition of the embedded real-time oscilloscope comes to make it a complete solution for complex testing & characterization and design validation of I3C interfaces. The I3C PurVue Analyzer™ license is available now as an upgrade to existing SV4E-I3C devices, or it can be selected as an option on new SV4E-I3C device purchases. This new portable oscilloscope may be in its debut phase, but its capability has been both a long time coming and is the future of I3C testing & measurement.